Linseed Bread – Paleo, Low Carb & High Fat
This recipe and post is really an ode to the humble linseed (or flaxseed if you’re from across the pond).
And a confessional, about my recent desire bread.
In fact, at the weekend I was craving a crisp sandwich. I kid you not. So I grabbed a gluten free roll and stuff it with butter and some veggie crisp and honestly – best dinner ever.
But in my general day to day, I try not to live off of gluten-free crisp sandwiches. What works well for my body is eating a high-fat diet with zero gluten and only very rare (like crisp sandwich rare) grains.
So what the heck do you do when you need something to mush some avocado onto or need to toast it and run?
Well, that is where this Linseed Bread comes into play. I call these kinds of recipes – bread that’s not real bread. Because let us be clear there is not yeast, flour or gluten in this recipe so it’s not like bread….but also fills the void of bread…. Clear as mud?
I tend to batch make 2-3 loafs of this once a month, slice it and freeze the slices so I can pop a slice in the toaster or grill whenever I need it.
And, as with all my recipes, a slice of this will go a LONG way in terms of your health. Heres why
- Linseed – these are a fabulous source of omega 3 fatty acid, fibre, vitamin B1 and can even support hormonal support in when.
- Ghee – provide all the good fats and nutrients that come from dairy without any of the problematic lactose – winner
- Eggs – means this ain’t just a fat slice but a protein packed one too.
Plus zero bloating after eating and one slice of this will keep you full for ages 😉 I ditched gluten about 6 years ago and have never looked back and I find so many of my one to one clients find it a helpful part of their own healing journey too. And if you need some help to heal, help to get your body back on track then make sure you grab you free meal plan above to help you become one fat burning female….who still eats cake!!
Speedy 'Wholemeal' Linseed Flatbread
- 150 g ground golden linseeds
- 25 g ground chia seeds
- 85 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herb
- 170 ml filtered water
- 1 organic egg
- 1 - 1-.5 tsp salt
- Grind seeds if doing manually with coffee grinder and pre heat oven to 200c
- Then mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk all the wet ingredienits together using a fork in a seperate jug.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- On a baking tray (pizza try works best) with greaseproof paper on it pour the sticky mixture out and place another sheet of greaseproof paper onto and us your hand or rolling pin to gentley flatten until 1-1.5cm in thickness.
- Place in middle of the oven for 15 mins then remove and flip the flatbread over for another 15mins to ensure thorough cooking on both sides (especailly if your oven is a bit rubbish!)
- Remove when solid and slightly brown and allwo to cook before eating.
- Will store in fridge for about 3-4 days but best eaten fresh.
I have also tried this without an egg and works well - slightly drier but still very tasty if you have an egg allergy or are vegan 😉