Carrot & Coconut Cake
CATEGORIES: Recipes Snacks + Treats
Now this here recipe was born out of the sudden desire for cake on Saturday morning. Some days only cake will do but thankfully cake can be a health boost, healing and slimming food if eat sensibly. Plus i need some healthy snack ready to go for what is set to be a busy week as we unpack from New York, work and get ready for our long awaited 3 week holiday to Cape Town. ( Honestly I am never normally this much of a jet setter but it’s just the way it’s worked out!)
Plus the fact that I have had carrot cake on what feel like a permanent re-run in my belly brain (the part of my brain that constantly thinks about food – or is that just me??). I was also feeling creative so wanted to rustle up something new in the kitchen.
Now this is not a traditional carrot cake so don’t expect that (I will have to create that recipe another time), in fact its sort of a cross between cake and flapjacks, and I was tempted to call it a tray bake. But cake it is. It is full of amazing super healthy and natural ingredients (thats not a shocker is it!) and makes for a perfect snack or even a cheeky wee breakfast! I do love cake for breakfast sometimes…
It is not sickly sweet, making for suitable for regular consumption and in true Kezia style it is (drum roll) grain, gluten, dairy and refined sugar FREE. Who says you can have your cake and eat it when you have food intolerances, are trying to get healthier or lose weight – not me!
This is also perfect for stocking up that freezer – I personally feel like the world is a safer more beautiful place when I know I have a freezer full of cake that can be accessed at any moment – but again maybe that is just me…
Carrot & Coconut Cake
- Ideally all organic
- 580 g Grated Carrots roughly 5 big ones
- 6 Organic Eggs
- 2 Bananas
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chopped Ginger
- 100 g Ground Linseeds
- 100 g Sultanas or Raisins
- 80 g Chopped Walnuts
- Zest 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Pinches Salt
- 200 g Desiccated Coconut
- 100 g Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 170c and grease a tray with butter/oil and ideally line with greaseproof paper.
- In a food processor mix the eggs, bananas and vanilla essence until fluffy.
- Add the grated carrots to the egg mixture and blend until smooth and orange!
- In a large mixing bowl thoroughly mix by hand in all other ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour into your baking tray, and have the mixture around 1-1.5 inch depth and level out the top with a spatula.
- Cover the tray with foil and place in oven for about an hour.
- After an hour remove foil and cook for a further 45min or until it is firm and more solid feeling.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Cut into rectangular slices.
- If you have no allergy to dairy serve topped with creme fraiche or natural yogurt.