Salted Superfood Chocolate Bites
CATEGORIES: GAPS Recipes Snacks + Treats
Maybe this is sign of my age but anyone else remember that christmas number one by south park about chocolate salty balls.
Yes it was rude and a terrible song but I could help but be reminded of this 90’s tune when making these.
Have a lost you already?? Come back , honestly these taste better that the song sounded!
These Salted Superfood Chocolate Bites (I will not longer refer to them as balls for obvious reasons) come out of my complete belief that food can be our medicine. I believe food should not only taste awesome and be a part of building community and life, it should also nourish and heal our bodies.
My journey has been this pursuit of healing through food and lifestyle (and God) and choosing nature as my pharmacy. Over the years I have regained so much health and vitality but as you may know I am currently on a mission to nourish and heal my hormones and therefore my endocrine system (glands) and these bites are the perfect remedy.
- Source of good fats. Read hear about why coconut oil is so good for you . I am aiming to eat about 1/2 a cup a day to help restore hormone health ( read more here) so these are definitely helping.
- Pumpkin seed. Full of zinc, protein, and omega 3 fatty acids. They are truly one super seed!
- Protein. The brazil nuts and cashews are jam packed with natural proteins selenium and goodness that will keep you full for hours.
- Salt. Now this will get its own post but I am a big advocator of quality salt, especially if you are aiming to balance or nourish your adrenals, thyroid or glands in general. It also make these bites perfect for a post work out recovery snack to help restore your electrolytes after a sweaty workout.
- Magnesium. The pumpkin seeds and cacao make this a perfect way to boost your magnesium intake which is again brilliant for hormone health and also all round health read why you need more magnesium
- Maca. The aztecs loved it and I do to. This recipe is a great way of getting maca into your days eating in a way that is not another smoothie! Read about Maca’s wonders here.
- Energy boosting . The cacao, maca, nuts, dates and salt will give you an all round energy boost without the caffeine or sugar hang over!
Phew! See why they are super? I totally recommend making a bunch of these, I have been eating one pre morning workout and it surprising how long it keeps me going, today I wasn’t hungry for breakfast until 11am!
And for any total gym bunnies these are SO much better than any protein bars or drinks you can get from the shop. They are often so filled with junk (syrup, gums, additives and crappy salt) and will never help nourish your body. Ok rant over.
Oh and if you want more awesome recipes, tips, discounts and other deliciousness (is that even a word??) in your inbox every week as well as a some freebies then make sure you click here.
- 25g brazil nuts
- 50g cashew nuts
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 5 pinches of quality salt
- 4 medjool dates
- 2tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maca
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- DUSTING (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 2 tbsp cacao powder or cocoa powder
- Blend the nuts and seeds until smooth in a food processor.
- Then add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Then take a heaped teaspoon full and roll into a ball and if dusting roll in the mixed cacao and maca before placing on a line tray or plate.
- Make these quite small as they are so rich you wont want to eat a large one!
- Put in fridge for 20-25 mins until firm and then enjoy with a cup of tea.
- These will store in a sealed tub for over a week in fridge - also suitable for freezing.
- Feel free to sue other nuts, walnut would be great as would almonds.
What is your post workout snack? What do you like to eat to boost energy? South park fan??