Red Velvet Slices : A Sneaky Peek at Some Flourish Recipes
CATEGORIES: Recipes Snacks + Treats
I was trying really hard to keep this recipe from you and just save it for the Flourish eBook & Virtual Coaching Bundle (coming out this week!) but I was just enjoying them too much and loving the fact that they were pink/red!
(If you want to Flourish this Christmas and feel fabulous then make sure you sign up to my newsletter to get you virtual coaching bundle discount and a whole host of support to get you healthy and happy! Click here to sign up)
You know I am always trying to sneak vegetables into cake and sweet treats so I can get one of my five – I mean ten – a day in. But this recipe was also inspired by my wonderful vegetable box which has been supplying me with an endless supply of raw beetroots. I am loving seasonal cooking it really helping me to get in touch with the land and what my body needs in different seasons without actually having to do any of the hard muddy work myself! I lack green fingers…
I love beetroot either roasted, in juice or in a coleslaw salad (it works great through into my celeriac coleslaw) as it makes everything pink but I needed to think of something more creative in order to get through this beetroot season. I also have always loved the idea of red velvet cake as that dark pinky red colour has always appealed but I don’t really like using food colouring, or flour or sugar for that matter so this is my alternative.
These frozen slices are a wonderful pudding or snack and are jam packed with goodness from the raw beetroots which help fight inflammation, improve stamina, support detoxification and are filled with vitamin c, potassium (needed for nerve and muscle function), manganese (needed for your bones liver kidneys etc) AND they also contain vitamin B folate – the natural state of synthetic folic acid. Phew. As well as a bunch of natural fats and protein these are really one body loving winner!
All weeks should start with cake and treat recipes should they not? So if you are thinking about getting healthier, fitting into those old jeans or that old party dress then switch your biscuits for these and stay tuned for my Flourish eBook & Coaching Bundle – an online, interactive way to get you healthy slim and thriving.
Happy Monday Everyone!
- 100g raw beetroot
- 125g soaked cashews (soaked for 2-3 hours then rinses)
- 3 tbsp raw cacao or cocoa
- 50 ml water
- 2tbsp raw honey
- Pinch salt
- 50g creamed coconut
- 100ml coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- In a food processor blend all the BASE ingredients together until smooth but only add as much water as need to blend add a little at a time..
- Pour into a greased and lined deep tray or glass dish and spread until about 1 cm in thickness and place in the freezer overnight for 2-3 hours.
- Once solid in a glass bowl over boiling water melt and mix all the topping ingredients. Remove from heat and allow to thicken slight, stirring the whole time and then pour over frozen pink base and place back in the freezer to set for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before serving and slice using a hot knife.
- Store in freezer.
- Feel free to add more honey or use maple syrup if you want a sweeter taste.
What is your favourite vegetable cake? What are your healthy treats? Any good ideas for all my beetroots?