Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Squares Recipe
CATEGORIES: Recipes Snacks + Treats
I think I have a slight borderline obsession with peanut butter and almond butter….and basically any other nut butter you can make. (I mean I am even partial to a sunflower seed butter!)
And for the sake of variety and budget, I use a variety of ‘butters’ as each one has a different nutritional profile. But peanut butter is my original love. Many years ago when I was following the GAPS diet peanuts weren’t allowed (they are a legume which can often cause lots of further irritation to those suffering from digestive issues and they also are high in mould which can be very inflammatory) so I weaned myself off them. But now I have a better gut and happier tummy I can eat legumes just fine. So HELLO peanut butter, chick peas and lentils!
Now it is worth noting that I try to only eat organic peanut butter where possible and ideally I don’t eat it every day, more as a treat, and here is a great article explaining more about if peanuts are actually healthy or not. In general, I would say peanut butter is pretty healthy but NOT the healthiest food in the world and the other nut butter’s are more nutritionally beneficial. BUT it is cheaper, is a good source of protein and tastes awesome and that is always an important fact to consider 😉
And if you love a sweet treat but want to find healthier alternatives, increase your energy and feel awesome then make sure you get my Natural Sweetener eGuide below for more recipes and some natural sweetness know how 😉
But back to the recipe. These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Squares are…
- Full of good fats. Whether you use organic butter (read here for why I eat butter) or coconut oil (read here about the benefits) these good fats that will keep you full for much longer.
- 100% natural. There is no crap in them, just a few simple ingredients that you blend, set and eat.
- Will last for ages. They are best stored in the freezer or fridge and this means they aren’t just lying around asking to be eaten all day long.
- Perfect pre or post-exercise treat. A little square of one of these will keep your going long and hard or help you recover from a sweaty session of fun.
- Delicious! They taste like the inside of a Reese peanut butter cup which is always a good thing in my books….Also you can easily sub peanut butter here with any other nut butter or seed butter if you want to be nut-free 😉
- 200g organic peanut butter
- 4 medjool dates (see notes)
- 150ml of melted organic butter OR coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2-3 pinches salt
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- Grease a glass dish for the mixture to set in.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil.
- Blend all the ingredient together (except the cacao nibs) until smooth.
- Taste and add more sweetness according to you taste.
- Pour into grease dish. It will be a thick paste like mixture.
- Smoothie until about 2 cm in thickness or to your preference.
- Sprinkle the cacao nibs on top.
- Place in freezer for about an hour until set.
- Cut into small3x3am squares for the perfect snacking size!
- Store in freezer or fridge.
- If you don't have medal dates then feel free to use 3-4 tbsp raw honey.
- If you can't have peanuts they you can substitute in any other nut butter like almond or cashews butter.
- No cacao nibs? Then feel free to use dark chocolate chips or roughly chopped 75% dark chocolate to sprinkle on top. This will mean there is some refined sugar in the square but a very minimal amount.
What are your favourite snacks? Are you a big peanut butter fan?