Chewy Chia Chocolate Cookies – Vegan & Paleo
CATEGORIES: GAPS Recipes Snacks + Treats
If you are anything like me then you will find that sometimes in the afternoon you just fancy a little something sweet.
Something chocolate, chewy and scrumalicious (yes I did just invent that word!)
And of course, there will be days when we reach for the Mr Kipling French Fancies but it is not ideal to do that every day otherwise you are saying HELLO to a blood sugar roller coaster and more fat round your belly due to the excess insulin you release. But as I say all the time – it is SO important that we intentionally have healthy treats like this in our days because often when we feel deprived we want to rebel and end up bingeing in a ‘sack it’ kind of fashion.
So that is where these Chewy Chia Chocolate Cookies – Vegan & Paleo friendly cookies come in. I made them one afternoon this week in order to totally procrastinate from doing to illustrations for the website and they are AWESOME and will do you GOOD (just like all my other recipes). They are so good that even made it in The Sweet Treat Collection Recipe eBook.
No crap, no refined sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no grain, just goodness and FYI they taste good too!
- The chia seeds and linseeds are kick ass sources of omega 3 to help reduce inflammation.
- The medjool dates have a relatively low glycemic index meaning they won’t send your blood sugar sky high causing you to get overly hungry or with an overly large belly.
- The cacao is an amazing source of magnesium – a miracle mineral nearly all of us need more of (read more About why here). And they taste good and took me about 20 mins to make.
And if you want more insanely healthy and delicious recipes then make sure you click below to get your hands on some more tasty treat recipes that I LOVE.
So enjoy and let me know how you get on and if you need any supplies then make sure you just head over to my shop.
Chewy Chia Chocolate Cookies
- 100 g almonds
- 3 tbsp ground linseed/flaxseed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 medjool dates
- 3 tbsp cacao
- 1 tbsp scoop of coconut oil
- 120 ml water
- 1 - 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- In a food processor blend the almonds until they are fine.
- Add the other ingredients and blend until a sticky dough is formed.
- On a greased tray place a tbsp of the dough. Try to flatten it with your spoon - it is very sticky and I like thick cookies - so see the notes if you want thinner ones.
- Place in oven for 20 mins or until slightly crispy on top.
- Allow to cool and best eaten within 2-3 days.
I used raw cacao for this recipe - I have not tried it with normal cocoa but I am guessing 2-3 tbsp of cocoa should be enough.
Feel free to use organic butter instead of coconut oil and any other nut (pecan would be FAB) instead of almonds. Adapted from Deliciously Ella