To celebrate the start of the Great British Bake Off (GBBO)I thought it was necessary to create an epic cake in honour of Mary Berry.
But despite my LOVE of GBBO many of my clients and I don’t love how I feel eating refined sugar and gluten-filled cakes. So in I made one with natural, wholesome and healing ingredients...because I actually like to eat cake when watching the Bake Off!
I have the Victoria Sponge a fabulously healthy, free-from, twist, it’s 100% dairy, gluten, grain and refined sugar-free….but still tastes GOOD – I promise.
Coconut flour is the flour used and is a tricky beast, this is the one I used for this recipe and this is the coconut oil I get. Coconut cream you can get at most supermarkets in a carton, or failing that place a can of coconut milk (full fat of course!!) in the fridge overnight and scoop out cream at the top the next day (don’t shake it up!!).
Make sure you follow the steps as coconut flour can be a tricky flour to work with. The main thing is to make sure you use the correct size cake tin and don’t try to substitute any other flour in here – coconut flour works in a very unique way.
If you want more dairy, gluten, grain, and refined sugar-free recipes; that are simple and are going to do your (and your families) body GOOD, then make sure you check out The Sweet Treat Collection Recipe eBook .
Cos – you can have your cake and eat it!
Victoria Sponge - Grain, Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free
- 6 medium eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or tsp of vanilla extract
- 70 ml honey
- 85 ml melted coconut oil about 65g melted
- 70 g coconut flour
- a pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp GF baking powder
- A jar of sugar free jam of your choice - about 250g needed depending on preference
- 250 g organic greek yogurt or thick coconut cream
- Strawberries to top
- Preheat oven to 160c or 180c is not fan assisted.
- Grease and line two 17.5cm sandwich cake tins - don't miss this step!
- Whisk the eggs, honey, vanilla until fluffy.
- Mix the dry ingredients roughly.
- Whisk the cooled but melted coconut oil into the egg mixture until fluffy.
- Slowly sieve in the dry ingredients and combine until there are no lumps.
- Place equal measure of the mixture into the greased sandwich tins.
- Place in the oven for 20mins on the same shelf.
- Remove from oven when brown and springy to touch and allow to cool completely.
- ASSEMBLE - do this immediately before serving!
- Simply turn bottom cake layer upside down to create a flat layer for the filling and place the jam on the bottom.
- Then add the greek yogurt or coconut cream* and gentle place top layer on top.
- serve immediately but will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge.
Feel free to use butter instead of coconut oil and any sort of filling you fancy 😉 Adapted from The Healthy Chef